Physics @ Grenfell Campus, Memorial University

Physics Home
About Physics

The Bookshelf
H E L P !
Graduate Studies

Jobs & Careers
Faculty & Staff

General Science, Physics

B.Sc. in Physics

Physics Labs

All Physics Courses

First Year
Second Year
Third Year
Fourth Year

Astronomy Courses

1st yr Registration Info

Interactive Physlets

Physics Links


Grenfell Home


  @ Grenfell Campus, Memorial University

Important information for students
registering in 1st yr Physics courses:

Physics 1020 and 1021 are intended for students in the life sciences, or in pre-professional programs such as pharmacy, and for students who do not qualify for Physics 1050. As the emphasis is on understanding, these courses may be taken by students who have no background in physics. Only algebra and trigonometry are used; in most cases a student taking PHYS 1020 would be enrolled in MATH 1090. For PHYS 1021 there is a MATH 1000 prerequisite, which may be taken concurrently.

Physics 1050 and 1051 are for students planning to major in physics, engineering or in any of the physical sciences (including biochemistry). P1050 is open to students who have completed Level II and Level III Physics and are concurrently enrolled in (or have completed) Mathematics 1000.
Although the subject matter in Physics 1020 is similar to that in Physics 1050, the treatment of topics in Physics 1020 places more emphasis on conceptual understanding, rather than on problem solving.  Thus P1020 is not an appropriate choice for future engineering or physical science students (including biochemistry).  While PHYS 1050/1051 are calculus-based, this does not mean students should already know the calculus it is gradually introduced through the term, as needed.  MATH 1000 is a co-requisite; nearly all students in PHYS 1050 would take MATH 1000 concurrently.
The MUN Faculty of Engineering requires PHYS 1050 and 1051 as part of its Engineering One - the first year of the engineering program.  PHYS 1051 is also required for degrees in Physics, Chemistry and Biochemistry, and for both the Physics stream of the Grenfell General Science degree and the new B.Sc. in Physics.

While it is technically possible to jump from P1020 (with a 65%) to P1051, your chances of success in P1051 with this preparation are not good, therefore this is NOT recommended.  P1020 and P1050 are intended for different student preparations and the teaching approaches and techniques are very different, both in the classroom and especially in the laboratory.  If your program requires P1051, it is highly recommended that you do both P1050 and P1051. Note that both  the Physics stream of the B.Sc. in General Science and the B.Sc. in Physics require P1051.

Taking Phys 1020 and Math 1090 instead of Phys 1050 and Math 1000 may necessitate extra time to complete your degree program, especially a B.Sc. in Physics; students contemplating this should seek advice from their faculty advisor or program chair.

The best possible route for those considering a university program which requires undergraduate Physics, is to prepare in high school; take two years of high school Physics and as high a level of Math as possible.

Credit will be given for only one of (Physics 1020 and 1050)
and only one of (Physics 1021 and 1051).


Questions or Comments?  physics_webmaster